Friday, May 15, 2015

Our connected world

Isn't it strange how technology has changed us in just a few short years? Sometimes I complain about the "always connected" life we live, especially the kids with their iPhones surgically implanted into the palms of their hands, but even I, dinosaur and closet Luddite, feel somehow vulnerable if I leave the house without a phone.

Sometimes, though, it can be handy.

Just about to leave work this evening. Phone rings. Ali, telling me to avoid the highway. Tailback northbound almost back to the edge of town, so find an alternate route. She's caught up in the middle of it so I might be home before her despite setting out a lot later. I travel on side roads and rejoin the highway several miles up, beyond where accidents usually happen.

Beetling along nicely - and thanks for the warning - when I hit another slow patch and finally reach the actual source of the trouble - a nasty accident in the other lane. If traffic northbound was slow, southbound from that point on was worse than I've ever seen it. I need to turn left at some point but all the intersections are snarled up with oncoming traffic trying to escape the mayhem.

Call Ali (before you ask, hands-free and legal!) to check on her progress - not a true necessity, but peace of mind counts for a lot at my age. They've made it past the crush. Better yet, they'd made another diversion down to the coast and just spotted a pod of orcas out in the bay. I was in time to join them, but if we hadn't been connected I would have missed the sight.

Everyday technology does have its perks.

4 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Ian - yes useful if two ways ... and what a fantastic sighting - the pod of Orcas ... so wonderful .. cheers Hilary

stephen Hayes said...

Great that you didn't miss this sighting. See you in three weeks when I return from vacation.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Killer whales! Now that must've been awesome. I admit, I've used my phone to avoid messes like that.
Dig the new header, Ian.

Botanist said...

Hilary, that was an unexpected end to the day.

Stephen, I hope you have a great vacation!

Alex, they were a few hundred yards offshore, but still a wonderful sight!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...