Sunday, October 21, 2012

Award received, award given

I am dead chuffed (does anyone outside of Britain understand what that means?) to have been given the Great Comments Award by Danette.

Danette created this award herself, so I guess I can claim to be the proud owner of an "original", and it inspired me to be creative myself.

So, this is the launch of Botanist's very own Blog of Outstanding Natural Beauty award.

Da Rools!

The purpose of this award is to recognize blogs which do an exceptional job of extolling, presenting, or promoting beauty in some form or another.

This is not a tag, with lots of things for the taggee to do, so the rules are very simple.

For the giver

If you see a truly beautiful blog, feel free to bestow this award. You do not need to be tagged first. Just grab the image, say why you are awarding it, and let the recipient know.

For the recipient

You do not need to pass it on, or answer questions, or stand on one leg while drinking a glass of water and reciting the alphabet backwards. Just acknowledge the giver, display the award with pride, and bask in the appreciation.

And this first award goes to ... Danette!

While I was thinking about creating my own award and keeping it simple (inspired by Danette's example) her own blog inspired the subject itself.

I enjoy her frequent and illustrated excursions into the stunning wild country where she lives - the rugged trails, trees, wide views from high places. Her blog is a visual feast of nature in all its raw and untamed beauty. Please pop over and say "Hi!"

14 comments:

Danette said...

Wow!!! Thanks Ian!! What an incredible honor to have this bestowed upon me. This has got to be one of the best awards out there and I WANT to pass it on. (I guess it would look silly if I gave it back to you- lol)

I have to confess that I did not make up the Great Comments- I have just twisted it into being what I want it to be. I don't think I played by the "rules" at all. I was given it by Trisha WORD + STUFF but I am not sure who the blogger was that gave it to her (I was derelict and did not check them out). The funny thing is, however, that Michael Offutt suggested I have a blogfest and design the button for it. I am thinking about it, but I do like this idea better- design an award without rules or people you have to pass it on to.

Thanks again Ian. I am truly touched!

klahanie said...

Hi Ian,

Greetings, my human friend. Of course, me being a British dog, knows what ruffed, sorry, "chuffed", means :)

Well done you for having such an original award bestowed upon your good human self. Obviously, Danette recognises your highly anticipated, much loved comments.

And very good that you have created that most thoughtful of awards, Ian. Great concept and even better, "Da Rools!", are nice and simple. Thus, well done to the human, Danette, for having such a thoughtful award bestowed upon her.

Pawsitive wishes, your way, Penny the Jack Russell dog and modest internet star, recently upgraded to superstar status! :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You created a really cool award there!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea. It's about time we had some new awards floating about.

Botanist said...

Danette, sorry, I must have mis-read when you started acknowledging commenters in such a delightful way. Regardless, your example was the inspiration for this new award, nothing can diminish that :)

Hello Penny, TJRDAMIS, glad you appreciate the simplicity of the rules. Maybe they'll be simple enough for Gary to follow and bestow a few awards? I'm sure he knows lots of very beautiful blogs.

Alex, Delores, thanks! Glad you like it. Feel free to grab and distribute as you see fit.

BTW - with all the fuss recently about bloggers getting into trouble using copyrighted images, be reassured there is no such problem here. The image is a snippet from some Botanist original artwork, and you are free to post on your own blogs in the spirit in which it was intended.

i'm erin. said...

You had me at chuffed. I have no clue what it means, but it has sparked my attention and now I can't start thinking about it. ha ha. Such a fun award!

Johanna Garth said...

Love the award and I can think of a couple blogs that are so beautiful...would be perfect contenders.

Botanist said...

Erin (and anyone else puzzled), chuffed = pleased/proud. Used as above (dead chuffed) or chuffed to bits. No idea where it comes from, but any Brit would know what you meant.

Johanna, if you have recipients in mind, then don't delay. This is an award meant for giving :)

not displayed said...

Congratulations on receiving the Great comments award and I always think it is special when bloggers have their own award and the one you have created is just gorgeous.
And I love that it doesn't come with a whole pile of rules.
(I know what chuffed means, may be guilty of using it myself, but us Aussies use a lot of the same language as the Poms)

Botanist said...

Mynx, strange that the Aussies and Brits share so much language, while the Americans have drifted apart. Somewhere in my book heap I own a much-treasured Dictionary of Australian Slang. You folks have some wonderfully evocative terms to play around with :)

Pam said...

Ode to a dead chuffer:

How much chuffing could a dead chuffer chuff
If a dead chuffer chuffed it up the chuffer.

Hmm. It's like the F word, plug it into any noun, verb, adjective and voila, it's a dead chuffery!

Yeah, okay, I have no idea what dead chuffed means.

Botanist said...

Pam, actually I think some people do use it in much the same way as the F word, but that's not the way I used it here :)

Lydia Kang said...

Congrats on your award, and to Danette for receiving it!

Crystal Collier said...

Aw. What a great idea for a blog award. I'm going to keep it in mind going forward. Oh, and I get "chuffed". Yay! (Thank you British writing friends.) Ian--you definitely deserve the "Great Comments" award. =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...